Inking some plates, when the truth hit

 Sometimes things happen so randomly that one cannot make sense of it. Other times things happen and one gets the message, even if it takes a little while to become clearer. I'm talking about my art practice in general. And I'm humbly calling it an art practice, as I'm more inclined to think of it as an art life experiment. Here is why:

I tend to go all out when I do find that elusive groove where everything just clicks... colour, form, message, process, materials and all, and it's pure joy to make something that feeds the soul. Then the sun begins to set, the lights dim, and the flame goes out. Or something along those lines - and the search for the next groove begins. Experiments, journeys, bypasses, caves and tunnels, going off the rails and re-railing with difficulty and many false starts. "Again, from the beginning!" my piano teacher used to say ad nauseam. "With feeling!" These detours can take a round-about sort of route and would eventually bring me back right where I started. No, I mean started as in 25 years ago. Back to the very beginning.

And so it was, making hand-pulled prints for our 'Indelible' show at MGTO gallery (26 September to 29 November 2026). I indulged and went full bore with carving and sorting beautiful printing inks and making sure I have scrumptious papers ready. I've come to love Awagami Hosho Japanese paper made from natural fibres including bamboo, as well as Fabriano's Rosaspina, a beautiful paper and a joy to print on. So through hand-pulling each inked print I plodded on, enjoying every minute, even framing one spent tetrapak plate because it's honest and the truth, when I suddenly woke up and realised with complete certainty: I'm a painter. And painters paint!

So I've come full circle (yet again) and hope to be back at the easel soon, so I can hopefully begin work on another body of work that is mulling in my head and begging to be painted.

I can't promise anything, but that's the plan
Deo volente


The following works are available through me or MGTO gallery from 25 September to 29 November 2026. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to comment or secure one :-)

And here's to new beginnings by circling back to the very start
Thanks for looking
erika

Patchwork by Erika Husselmann - handpulled collagraph with gold leafing on Fabriano 500 x 500 framed - $180


Lifeline (NZ Fairy Tern) by Erika Husselmann - hand-pulled print on hymnal A4 size - $165


Buzz by Erika Husselmann - hand-pulled intaglio print, linocut, A4 -  $125



BeeGone by Erika Husselmann - hand-pulled print without re-inking, linocut, 350x150 - $115




'Nod to Yayoi Kusama' by Erika Husselmann - hand-pulled intaglio print, linocut, unframed, 200x300 - $65



Sweet Dreams by Erika Husselmann - tetrapak plate, A4 non-archival material, framed - $145




Sweet Dreams by Erika Husselmann - hand-pulled collagraph from tetrapak plate - A/P, A4 - $$145




Liberté by Erika Husselmann - serial 779, acrylic on stretched linen 900x1200x40 strung, ready to hang $3000
(after the Statue of Liberty) can also be hung in portrait orientation





SDG


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

watercolour studies I - VIII

family trees

the weaving