Two new works
AVIANA ![]() |
| Aviana - by erika husselmann 1000mm x 760mm box framed, ready to hang Media: acrylic, oils, graphite on linen I have painted Aviana (guardian of the birds) a few times now, always including birds, some mythical, some invented, non-existent, but this time four white doves made their presence known. I love doves, their melancholy coos, their gentle ways. A Barbary dove visited us a few years back - a slightly hanging left wing, a wonky toe, all functional and perfectly healed but clearly identifiable. I thought it might have been hand-reared and would eat from my hand after getting used to my voice. Every morning it would walk in the back door, cooing like I didn't own a cat. One day it returned with a lady friend, as if to introduce her to us and say good-bye at the same time. It returned only once more the following day, leaving some twigs as a gift. I fed it one last time and that was it. Bird was off to a new exciting life. I still miss it - a chance encounter with a very special Barbary dove, and can't help marvelling at life in all its amazing forms. Interested in owning this? Paypal is available - please contact me through email (below) or contact form on the top left. |
SPIRIT ANIMAL |
| Spirit Animal - by erika husselmann 1000mm x 760mm, box framed, ready to hang Media: graphite, acrylic, mixed This was an unusual process through a particularly interesting journey. Would you believe me if I told you that it started with a laughing sheep? Neither would I. But proof is in the pudding, and I happened to have snapshots of the process. I cobbled together a slideshow that demonstrates how many times the work ended up being subjected to a step I call a white-out, using lots of white paint as a white wash. It was fun, which is easy to say in the end. You will notice a very black bird at some point in the middle of the process. Shall we say that that was the lowest point, and I seriously considered scrapping the whole idea, giving up and stretch a new canvas... as you do. I think there is wisdom in sending it to stand in the corner, turning it to face the wall, before destroying it. Because when I returned to it I recognised something worthy to preserve in there. I performed another white-out, reconsidered and it resolved itself in the end. Now it might just be one of my favourites - why? I have no idea. Thanks for your visit take care erika Interested in owning this? Paypal is available, please email me on the address below, or through the contact form on the top left. If you would like more info, please email me at erika husselmann (remove spaces) at geemail dot com - blessings e^) |

Comments
Post a Comment